This module introduces the student to the PN junction and i application in modern electronic circuits. Semiconductor diodes and configurations such as half wave and full wave rectifiers are presented using both theoretical and practical examples which are reinforced by laboratory experiments. Other diodes such as Zener, Varactor, and Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) are also introduced in this module.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Explain the atomic structure of semiconductors.
- Differentiate between P type and N type semiconductors.
- Describe how a PN junction is forward biased and reverse biased.
- Name the two leads of a semiconductor diode.
- Explain the purpose of diode ratings.
- Troubleshoot diodes and rectifier circuits.
- Discuss the basic operation of half wave and full-wave rectifiers.
- Describe the operating characteristics of zener diodes.
- Name two types of optoelectronic devices and describe their operation.