This module covers the principles of capacitance including relative permittivity, dielectric strength and leakage current. The types of capacitors covered in this module include electrolytic, ceramic, mylar and tantalum. Series and parallel configurations of capacitor circuits are included in the module as well as an introduction to bypass and coupling capacitors.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Describe the electrostatic field between two charged surfaces.
- Determine the flux density of a capacitor.
- Define relative permittivity and dielectric strength.
- Express the capacitance of a device in terms of charge and potential difference.
- List three factors that determine the capacitance of a capacitor.
- Define the terms leakage current and leakage resistance.
- Describe various types of capacitors used in electronic circuits.
- Utilize the capacitor color code.
- Explain transients in RC circuits.
- Describe the universal time constant curve.
- Discuss the relationship between capacitors connected in series and in parallel.
- Define coupling capacitors and bypass capacitors.
- Troubleshoot capacitors.